Thursday 3 April 2014

Kale pesto- its the best...doh.

For me- recipes tend to linger in my mind for awhile before I try them. I'll be thinking about it in the shower or reading and then suddenly everything will fuse to the point where I'll have to don my concentrating face (where all my muscles go to my nose) and give it a go. 

Kale and I have a love /hate relationship- I went through a phase about a year ago where I used it in all my cooking and until about a month ago I had hardly used it. You see I went back to my first love- spinach. Spinach makes me think of Popeye and Popeye's awesome. 

According to the all knowing all seeing eye that is Wikipedia. Pesto originated from northern Italy and usually consists of basil, pine nuts olive oil. I generally find pesto rather rich so its not something I'd order if I was in a restaurant. 

However for this recipe I used coconut oil (the backbone of ALL my cooking), mushrooms, kale and feta cheese. I used to hate feta but since I started living with a Greek couple my senses have been awakened by its awesomeness. 

I began by stalks off the kale so I just had the leaves left (this can be time consuming if you buy a bag from a supermarket), once that had been done I chopped my onion, mushroom and revisited the kale for a fine chopping!

In the pan I melted a teaspoon of coconut oil and added the onion. Once browned I added a little water and the chopped mushroom. The kale was added soon after alongside an inch of feta crumbled into the now wilted kale mixture. I also added a pinch of cayenne chilli pepper, black pepper and a pinch of sea salt before I let it simmer and the flavours bond. After about five- eight minutes I got out my trusty blender and blended to get a vague thick soup like consistency. 

Now you may be wondering what gluttonise carb did I have it with? Well I'm sorry to disappoint you but this time I had it with courgette (zucchini) spaghetti which took all of two seconds to make (you just use a veggie peeler for tagliatelle like strings) I also added some tuna as I felt like it may not be that filling. However next time I would have it without! 

Until next time xo 













 

No comments:

Post a Comment